Monday, September 11, 2006

Rice pudding ice-cream

(Gelado de arroz-doce)

The first time I tried this ice-cream flavour was about 20 years ago, in Cais-do-Sodré station (http://www.cp.pt/cp/detailCulture.do?itemId=393432). There used to be a small ice-cream stand that had unusual flavours, for those times. When I came to Lisbon I would always stop for buying my sweet rice ice cream on my way back home. I guess the stand closed; nevertheless it has been many years since I stopped commuting to Lisbon by train.

Three years ago I got and ice-cream machine for my birthday; so once in awhile a try a different version. My husband is the official taster and this, I must confess, was not his favourite, but one can not make rice pudding tasting like chocolate, can you? Ok, you can make chocolate rice pudding…

This recipe is posted to answer the challenge of HEMC3 (http://hechoencocina.blogspot.com/2006/08/hemc-3-arroz.html), so no picture, sorry :-(!

I learnt that this recipe must be the world’s most cross-border pudding, but each culture adds it its own touch. My recipe is as follows:

½ cup “common” rice (that is the round grain type not basmati or nothing of that type)
2 cup water
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar (or a little less if you prefer it less sweet)
1 lt full fat milk
1 slice of lemon peal
1 cinnamon stick
4 egg yolks
Cinnamon powder (optional)

First “open” the rice. Put the water and the salt in a large pan and let it boil. When the water is boiling add the rice and mix with a wooden spoon. Don’t wash the rice!!! Lower the heat and wait until the rice is cooked, that means “open” and white. In the meantime heat the milk until is almost boiling.
When the rice is cooked discard the excess of water. Once again, don’t wash the rice!!! Pour the boiling milk, the sugar, the lemon peal and cinnamon stick. Mix again carefully and keep the pan in lower heat. Once in awhile mix carefully until it turns creamy. The rice has to stay quite liquid.
Take the pan out of the heat. Remove the lemon peal and the cinnamon stick. Mix the yolks with a little cold milk and pour into the creamy rice mixing quickly so the yolks won’t cook immediately. Return to the heat and keep mixing until it thickens a little. At this step you can had the cinnamon powder, if you are a fan. I am!

Let the rice get completely cold. When the rice has cooled put it in the ice-cream machine and proceed according to the manufacture instructions.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home